Big Hearts Befrienders
Big Hearts Befrienders is an extension of our Kinship Care Programme for families in Edinburgh and the surrounding areas. The project is run in partnership with The Broomhouse Centre, who have significant experience in providing befriending services for young people.
Objective of the Role
Big Hearts Befrienders offer informal support to children aged 7-14 years old through social activities out in the community, ultimately improving their emotional wellbeing and helping them become more active in their local community.
– Engaging in one to one social and fun activities (eg. visit to the zoo, dog walking, cinema etc.)
– Taking part in group activities with other Befrienders (eg. ice skating or baking)
– Becoming a trusted role model for the young person and maintain a confidential relationship
Skills & Qualities Required
– Reliable and able to act responsibly.
– Flexible, understanding and enthusiastic to engage in fun activities.
– Comfortable to chat to young people who face significant disadvantage and social isolation.
What’s in it for you?
– We are looking for volunteers from various backgrounds who are willing to help improve a young person’s life.
– You will engage in social & cultural activities matching both your interests and get to witness first-hand the positive difference you are making.
– You will become part of a growing movement of Hearts fans giving their time and skills to support those most in need.
Yes – Big Hearts will help with this and the cost will be fully covered.
Availability & commitment required
A commitment of 2-3 hours per week over the course of 12 months, after completion of training.
– Training, advice and ongoing support from Big Hearts Befrienders Project Worker.
– Travel expenses provided
– Monthly activity budget provided