Big Hearts Supporters: breaking all records this festive season
Over the festive season, Big Hearts supported hundreds of families in Edinburgh and the Lothians, thanks to the incredible efforts from a record breaking number of Big Hearts Supporters.
For this second Christmas of the Covid-19 pandemic, Big Hearts went on the road to bring some festive cheer directly to people’s homes.
Despite the request for support having doubled from 2020, hundreds of supporters came forward to volunteer, making Big Hearts’ festive activity 2021 the biggest to date:
– 400 fresh 2-course Christmas dinners distributed
– 2,500 tailored adults and children presents donated
– 100 long-shelf life food parcels handed out to families
Craig Wilson, Big Hearts General Manager said: “Alongside our dedicated staff team, Big Hearts Volunteers have played a vital role in supporting the 500 adults and children on our Christmas list. Our award-winning Big Hearts Supporters Movement was designed to do just that: use the incredible power of football to join forces and help others in need. We are incredibly grateful to all who decided to sign up and donate their time and skills to make a difference. Thank you.”
Andrew McKinlay, Hearts Chief Executive said: “The festive holidays can be a challenging time for many. Throughout the pandemic, football has remained a force for good and it’s heart-warming to see a record number of Hearts fans joining Big Hearts, the charity operating from Tynecastle Park, to help provide much needed support across the community. They are a credit to our Club, and our shared family and community values. A big thank you to all involved, your kindness doesn’t go unnoticed.”
– A total 12 local organisations and schools who referred families and individuals to our charity. This includes homeless groups, families in low incomes, children in care, lone parents and individuals facing acute loneliness.
– A group of 274 Big Hearts Volunteers got involved in December, though various opportunities to help in their own time or at the Stadium. A special recognition to volunteers from the North British Distillery, the Foundation of Hearts and Heart of Midlothian First team and Women’s team.
– Over £3,320 donated through our online Christmas Appeal page. The money raised is being used to support priority groups struggling over the winter holidays and well into the New Year.
“I’d like to thank Big Hearts for the delivery of food and my present. It meant a lot to me, and brought me joy and happiness at the end of what has been a very very hard year. I feel a bit better now thanks to a lot of kind people like yourselves. I can now walk with a bit of pride again.” – Local Family.
“Thank you for the vouchers. They helped me so much to get the kids new clothes and toys. The first Christmas in a long time I’ve not had to worry. Thanks again.” – Kinship Carer.
“The amount of work, care and compassion all the Big Hearts staff and volunteers put in is amazing. Seeing it at first hand this December was a privilege, we are so glad we could help in a tiny way.” – Volunteer.