About Big Hearts
Since 1874, Heart of Midlothian FC has built a strong reputation as a family friendly club with a proud record of community involvement. We have a desire for Hearts to continue to build on its reputation as a positive social force in the community by working in partnership with many different local groups, charities, corporate partners and initiatives. This strategy is part of our commitment to build on our traditions as a family friendly club.
The Big Hearts Community Trust is the club’s main vehicle for investing in community development projects. It is an independent charity and its role is to support the work of local people towards building communities where people of all ages can live, work and participate in sport safely, where they welcome each other’s differences and help each other to grow and succeed. This requires the club, through the Trust, to actively engage with local community leaders and forums and to offer sporting opportunities and a wide range of inspiring health and educational activities for the benefit of local people.
"To create a legacy in which people with Big Hearts build better communities together."
Investing in our local communities and beyond is also about making Heart of Midlothian FC a better company, a company that acts responsibly, a company that contributes towards improving the quality of people’s lives. In particular, Hearts is committed to playing its role in working towards the following national outcomes:
- We live in a Scotland that is the most attractive place for doing business in Europe
- We have strong, reilient and supportive communities where people take responsibilities for their actions and how they affect others.
- Our children have the best start in life and are ready to succeed
- We have improved the life chances for children, young people and families at risk
- Our young people are successful learners, confident individuals, effective contributors and responsible citizens
- We live longer, healthier lives
- We realise our full economic potential with more and better employment opportunities for our young people
- We live our lives safe from crime, disorder and danger
Big Hearts is built on three main pillars of activity
1. Communities: Through our engagement programmes, communities in the Heart of Midlothian catchment area are more confident, healthier and safer.
2. Grassroots: Through developing grassroots programmes more people have the opportunity to enjoy football and sport each year.
3. Legacy: Through the charity's innovation, fundraising and publicity the club is recognised as an internal part of the community.
Since 2006 the charity has forged valuable and fruitful relationships with six local authorities and numerous community partners, resulting in a high levels of activity in areas such as health, education, social responsibility, grassroots sport and club development. In close conjunction with Heart of Midlothian Football Club, the Trust continues to make a valuable social and community contribution to the south-east of Scotland and beyond.
Big Hearts Community Trust
Heart of Midlothian Football Club
Scottish Charity No. 037311
Office: 0131 200 7265